HISTORY OF THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH IN SCOTT COUNTY
1836 First Episcopal service in Iowa.
1841 Trinity Parish organized, worshipped in the residence of Dr. John Emerson, 219 E. 2nd St. First church building of Trinity Parish on northwest corner of 4th and Main Streets.
1852 Second church building of Trinity Parish on southeast corner of 5th and Pershing Streets. The first pipe organ in Iowa is installed. Pine Hill Cemetery is purchased.
1855 St. Luke’s Parish organized.
1864 Christ Church, a mission church of Trinity Parish, is built at 3rd and Pine Streets.
1867 June 27 – cornerstone laid for Grace Cathedral, named after the parish in New York City whose members provided much of the funding.
1873 June 18 – consecration of Grace Cathedral.
1879 Clarissa C. Cook Home for the Friendless established.
1884 St. Katharine’s Episcopal School for Girls (now Rivermont Collegiate).
1893 St. Luke’s Hospital established (now part of Genesis Hospital).
1909 Trinity Parish and Grace Cathedral begin worshipping together.
1910 Grace Cathedral renamed Trinity Cathedral to preserve the name of the original parish.
1928 Christ Mission Church merged with Trinity.
1941 Cancel and Sacristy remodeled to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Trinity Cathedral.
1960 St. Alban’s Church organized by members of Trinity Cathedral.
1966 St. Peter’s Church organized by members of Trinity Cathedral.
1979 New tracker organ installed in the Cathedral by Hellmuth Wolff of Quebec.
1983 Sacristy remodeled (after old organ was removed).
1984 Bell tower memorial; the cathedral is finally finished after 117 years!
1991 Trinity Cathedral celebrates its Sesquicentennial.
1993 October 10 – Haines Parish House dedicated and consecrated.
1994 Positive Parenting at Trinity established. Program discontinued 2021.