(563) 323-9989
121 W. 12th St., Davenport, Iowa 52803

General Guild

General Guild supports many activities and ministries in the church, both financially and by organizing important events. it also helps provide many resources and materials used by the Cathedral on an ongoing basis.

Some examples of the events and ministries sponsored by the General Guild are the Churches United Dinners, Angel Gifts, and UTO Ingatherings.

Every woman in the Cathedral is a member of General Guild, and every person’s contribution is important and valued. If you’re interested in becoming actively involved, please contact the office.

Read more

Churches United Dinners

Trinity Cathedral is one of approximately 50 churches participating in the Churches United of the Quad City Area Meal Site Program.

Our meal site has been at Zion Lutheran Church at 8th and Marquette Streets in Davenport. Meals are provided five times annually, on the third Monday of March, May, July, September, and November.

Volunteers shop for and prepare the food, then deliver and serve it. Food prep volunteers are asked to arrive at the church by 1 p.m. Volunteers for delivering meals should arrive at the Church by 5:30 p.m.

Read more

Hildegards

Hildegards is a study group open to all women.

Meetings are held at 8:45 a.m. in the church library on the third Saturday of the month from September through May. During the coronavirus pandemic, this group meets via Zoom.

Read more

Saturday Morning Bible Study

This group is open to all who are interested in Bible study.

Meetings are typically held in the Great Hall from 8:30 – 9:30 a.m. on the first and third Saturdays of each month. During the coronavirus pandemic, meetings are weekly via Zoom. The discussion is preceded by Morning Prayer from 8:00-8:30.

Read more

Order of St. Luke the Physician

Members of the Order of St. Luke the Physician meet to study Scripture, especially the biblical stories of the healing miracles, as well as other books on Christian healing, and engage in healing prayer. All are welcome to join this healing ministry.

The order maintains a website for additional information: http://dev.orderofstluke.org/

Contact the church office for additional information.

Read more

Episcopal Youth Group

Episcopal Youth Group is open to any Christian in grades 6-12, whether Episcopal or not. EYG focuses on faith, fellowship and fun, meeting every other week from 5-7 p.m. Youth are provided dinner and a variety of (usually) faith-based activities. We’ve taken a pumpkin patch field trip, made crafts, played games, thrown parties, provided Christmas cards to shut-ins and much more.

EYG will loosely follow the same calendar as Sunday School, with a summer break built into the schedule. All youth from the Quad-City Episcopal churches are encouraged to join us and are more than welcome to bring friends. For specific plans on a given week, join our Facebook group. Just search “EYG”!

Read more

PUNCH

PUNCH ( People Uniting Neighbors and Churches) was formed in 2004 by the churches in the Brady Hill neighborhood of Davenport. The group was formed to make our neighborhood a better place to work, worship and live in.

punch

Click here for more information about PUNCH!

Read more

Historic Trinity Episcopal Cathedral

Trinity Episcopal Cathedral is the historic cathedral of the Episcopal Diocese of Iowa. As Episcopalians, we are part of Christ’s One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. Trinity Cathedral is a Eucharist-centered parish. Our ministry begins at the altar, where we gather to celebrate, through Holy Communion, God’s love, grace and mercy in our lives. Our liturgy reflects traditional Anglican practices and theology, and our music program underscores the beauty, majesty and joy of this ancient liturgy.

Building of the cathedral was spearheaded by The Right Reverend Henry Washington Lee, first Episcopal Bishop of Iowa. The cornerstone was laid in 1867, and the building was completed in 1873, when the structure was consecrated as Grace Cathedral. It was renamed Trinity Cathedral in 1910, when Grace Cathedral and Trinity Parish united.

Trinity Episcopal Cathedral has been called one of the finest gems of English Gothic architecture in the entire country. It is constructed of native Iowa limestone, trimmed in Indiana limestone, adorned by wrought iron Gothic ornamentation and highlighted by 19th century stained glass windows.

The 131 ft. tall spire was added in 1998.

For a history of the Episcopal church in Scott County, click here.

Read more

History of the Episcopal Church in Davenport

Trinity Episcopal Parish was established in 1841 worshiping in the residence of Dr. John Emerson at 219 East Second St. The first missionary was the Rev. Zachariah Goldsmith of Virginia. The first church that Trinity Parish erected was a small frame building at Fourth and Main Streets, with a rude altar, plank benches and a round stove in the nave. Trinity’s second church at Fifth and Pershing (then called Rock Island) Streets was built in 1852 in a Gothic style with a rose window and was the first church in Iowa to have a pipe organ. This building was destroyed by fire in 1874. Trinity then erected a new stone church with bell tower, rectory and day school at the S.W. corner of Seventh and Brady Streets. For a timeline of the Episcopal Church in Scott County, click here.
From…HISTORY OF THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH IN DAVENPORT
By Hazel Williamson
The first Episcopal services in Davenport were held in 1836 and were conducted by a traveling Episcopal clergyman. When the Wisconsin Territory was set with boundaries to include Iowa, Bishop Jackson Kemper was petitioned and Davenport was adopted as a mission station in 1838.
Trinity Episcopal Parish was established in 1841 worshiping in the residence of Dr. John Emerson at 219 East Second St. The first missionary was the Rev. Zachariah Goldsmith of Virginia. The first church that Trinity Parish erected was a small frame building at Fourth and Main Streets, with a rude altar, plank benches and a round stove in the nave. Trinity’s second church at Fifth and Pershing (then called Rock Island) Streets was built in 1852 in a Gothic style with a rose window and was the first church in Iowa to have a pipe organ. This building was destroyed by fire in 1874. Trinity then erected a new stone church with bell tower, rectory and day school at the S.W. corner of Seventh and Brady Streets.
Another parish,  St. Luke’s, built a large brick church on the N.W. corner of Seventh and Brady Streets in 1857 but had financial problems and sold it in 1864 to the Presybyterians who later sold it to Putnam Museum and this was where the museum was located for many years. in 1864, Christ Mission Church was built at Third and Pine Streets. It was a timber strecture with vertical siding and a bell tower.
In 1854, The Rev. Henry Washington Lee of Rochester, N.Y. was elected first Bishop of Iowa. Lee had dynamic ideas, a driving energy and he created a fund for the Diocese with the sale of lands he had purchased in the West, through contacts with Eastern churchmen and generous gifts from friends at St. Luke’s Church, Rochester, including a large gift from David J. Ely. With this fund, Bishop Lee’s dream of a beautiful cathedral was realized. Lee contacted one of the leading church architects in the country, Edward Tuckerman Potter of New York City who designed the new building. It was Gothic in architecture and of such construction that it would remain through the centuries as a witness to the Christian faith. In 1873, the structure was consecrated and named Grace Cathedral since that was the name of the New York church from which gifts had come predominately from two families. Less than 10% of the funds came from Iowans. The cathedral’s name was changed to Trinity Cathedral in 1910 when Grace Cathedral and Old Trinity Parish united to become a single parish. In 1928, Christ Mission Church merged into the Cathedral.
In 1960, St. Alban’s Church was organized, largely financed by Trinity Cathedral, and was located in N.W. Davenport. In 1966, St. Peter’s Church was organized and a modernistic church was built in Bettendorf.
The C.C. Cook Parish House of Trinity Cathedral was built in 1917 and it served the parish well for many years until it deteriorated and had to be replaced. In 1993, the new Haines Parish House was completed after a parish-wide fund drive had raised more than two million dollars to build it. It was named for Elizabeth Haines who made the largest single gift toward its construction. Haines Parish House is connected to the Cathedral building through two cloisters enclosing an outdoor garden or garth. The Parish House features a Great Hall, an octagonal chapel, kitchen facilities, classrooms, offices and a children’s chapel.
In 1998, a 131 ft. tall spire and bell tower was erected due to the desire and generosity of a lifelong parishioner, Elizabeth Haines, who totally paid for it. The spire had been part of Architect Potter’s original plans but it was not included when the cathedral was built due to lack of sufficient funds. Now more than 130 years after the cornerstone was laid, Bishop Henry Washington Lee’s dream of a beautiful cathedral atop the hill in Davenport is finally complete with a magnificent spire and bell tower.
Read more

Sacramental Practices at Trinity

Sacraments are an important part of the faith and worship life in the Episcopal Church and at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral. The seven sacraments are Holy Baptism, The Holy Eucharist, Confirmation, Marriage, Confession, Anointing and Ordination.


Holy Baptism is offered five times each year: on the Feast of the Baptism (early January), the Easter Vigil (springtime), Pentecost (early summer), the Sunday after All Saints’ Day (early November) and on the occasion of the Bishop’s visitation. Baptismal instruction/preparation is required.
The Holy Eucharist is offered to all baptized Christians who repent of their sins and seek to be in love and charity with their neighbors.
Confirmation is available annually for those who complete a course of preparation, make a public affirmation of their faith and wish to receive the laying on of hands by the bishop.
Marriage in the Episcopal Church is a solemn and public covenant between a man and a woman in the presence of God. It is required that at least one of the parties must be a baptized Christian and that a minimum of 30 days notice be given to the clergy to allow for pre-marital preparation. At Trinity Cathedral marriages are primarily for members of the congregation and their families.
Confession of sin to God in the presence of a priest may be scheduled by appointment with the clergy.
Anointing of the sick for healing is offered on the first Sunday and first Wednesday of each month or by appointment.
Ordination to service as a bishop, priest or deacon requires discernment, preparation and affirmation by the wider Church. Lay persons too are ministers by virtue of their baptism and giftedness.
Read more
X
X